Mount Diablo Amateur Radio Club and Boy Scout of America Mount Diablo Silverado Council-International Committee are presenting Jamboree-on-the-Air (JOTA) 2018 and Jamboree-on-the-Internet (JOTI) 2018 at Pacificon 2018 (http://www.pacificon.org/).
The JOTA is an annual event in which Scouts and Guides all over the world speak to each other by means of amateur radio. Scouting experiences are exchanged and ideas are shared, via the radio waves. Each year about half-a-million Scouts and Guides “get together” over the airwaves for the annual JOTA. JOTI is a similar event but uses the Internet. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/06/21/wave-hello-2018-jamboree-on-the-air-jamboree-on-the-internet-dates-set/
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2018; Time: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Place: PACIFICON, San Ramon Marriott, 2600 Bishop Drive, San Ramon, CA
Cost: $10 includes JOTA patch and general admission into Pacificon for Cub Scout and Boy Scouts (ONLY for Youth in full uniform or adult leader accompanying Scouts in full uniform). Kit building has additional cost (see below).
Registration: Registration required at: https://www.mdscbsa.org/ – pending
Note: Lunch will NOT be provided, so bring your own.
- Participate in Jamboree-on-the-Air by talking and listening on Amateur Radios
- Work on the Radio Merit Badge – limited space first come first serve – register at: https://www.mdscbsa.org/ (9:00 AM – 3:00 PM, please have an early lunch on your own)
- Work on the Electronics Merit Badge – limited space first come first serve – register at: https://www.mdscbsa.org/ (9:00 AM – 3:00 PM, please have an early lunch on your own)
- One-Day Amateur Radio Technician License Class (8 am to 4 pm. Registration, what to bring and the fee at: https://sites.google.com/a/mdarc.org/pacificon2018/education-and-forums/license-class)
- Amateur Radio License exams (new, upgrade and retake) are ongoing from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM (info: https://sites.google.com/a/mdarc.org/pacificon2018/education-and-forums/license-exams)
- Electronic kit assembly (9 AM to 3 PM) – meets Electronic Merit Badge partial requirements (bring $5-20 for the electronic kit options) and plan 1-2 hours of time. More info at: https://sites.google.com/a/mdarc.org/pacificon2018/education-and-forums/kit-building
- Optional special overnight program (6 PM to 7 AM) with radio communications to Asia & Europe, dinner & breakfast, and service hours for vendor equipment security watch!!!
- Browsing the latest technology of radio electronic in the Pacificon’s Vendor Exhibit Hall https://sites.google.com/a/mdarc.org/pacificon2018/finding-everything/exhibit-space-layout
- Limited number of Boy Scout of America Jamboree-on-the-Air 2018 patches will be available. Be sure to register at https://www.mdscbsa.org/ by October 14 to ensure you get a patch.
- Although the Boy Scout merit badge activities will only be on October 20, Scouts can come again on October 21 for the kit building, etc. There is no charge for entrance fee if full uniform is worn.
2017 JOTA/JOTI FLYER – pending
Questions: Contact Rand Mahoney / KK6BBT, Meridian District Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org